Wednesday 19 September 2012

Beautification

I promised details of my recent beauty exploits so here goes...

I was a bit worried about being a bridesmaid recently due to the whole 'letting myself go' extravaganza, so I called on the help of my lovely friend in the beauty business, Gemma. We discussed what I was unhappy with since having the children (everything) and came up with a realistic and basic plan which won't cost me the earth but will help me to feel better about myself. This is the plan...

1) Wax regularly. I've really let this one go. I've been so busy/tired that I stopped waxing all together and just whipped the Venus out if it was a special occasion.
2) Scouse brow - So I was originally joking about this but Gemma assured me that dyeing my eyebrows would give my face a more groomed look without me having to actually do anything. I was sceptical but she was right. So I'm not exactly a Scousewife but they are darker.
3) Permanently remove the excess hair my body kindly decided to generate when I was pregnant.

You're probably wondering a bit about that third one. I've agonised over blogging about this as it's so horrid but Caitlin Moran tweeted about her tache today so I guess I can't be alone in this.

With each pregnancy, not only did I gain a beautiful baby, I also grew a dark hair on my chin. Obviously this is unacceptable. However according to my internet research, it's very common and caused by an increase in hormones called androgens when you're preggo. To be honest, I don't care how normal it is or what causes it, I just want rid. Gemma suggested Electrolysis.

The British Institute and Associations of Electrolysis describes it as....

"inserting a very fine, flexible needle into the follicle. Your therapist then skillfully applies a tiny amount of current and destroys the lower part of the follicle, which stops any more hairs growing from that particular follicle." 

Does it hurt? Yes. It's like a hot pin being inserted into your face, the pain snaked all the way up to my jaw.
But it's not unbearable. So far I've had it done twice, one hair is gone altogether and the other is significantly finer. It's definitely worth it.

None of this is ground breaking, I know that they are just small (somewhat obvious) steps but already I feel better about myself. Next week...Shopping!

Just to finish off, you'll all be pleased to hear that Finbobs is now dry during the day even at nap time. We have the occasional accident and I'm prepared for a bit of regression once I go back to work, but we are over the worst of it. I'm ridiculously proud of him but also of myself. It's been one of the toughest parenting challenges I have faced.





 



No comments:

Post a Comment